Citizens and visitors in Orange County can now send a text message to 911 during an emergency or life-threatening situation.
Officials point out that calling 911 is the preferred method for reaching emergency service and resulting in the fastest response. However, there are situations when texting 911 is the best option:
- You are hearing impaired;
- You are speech impaired;
- Making a voice call places you in a dangerous situation; or
- You have tried to call 911 but can’t get phone reception.
Things to remember about texting 911:
- Provide your exact location and the nature of the emergency;
- Silence your phone if you are in a dangerous situation;
- Do not use slang, social media jargon, or abbreviations;
- Do not send photos, emojis, or videos;
- Do not send a group text.
Remember that you must have a data plan in order to send a text message!
Visit this page on the Orange County website for more information.